Thursday, February 22, 2018




How do I request a tape of a program?

Tape and/or DVD requests are handled through our City Clerks Office at City Hall. There is a request form that must be filled out and you must do that in person. They do not take mail or phone requests. The form is then forwarded to VTV. Once the tape/DVD is complete you can pick it up at the Clerks Office.

For convenience you can download and print the video request form for our website. You must take the form to the City Clerk's office to be processed. Do not email this form.

You must provide us with the following:

title of program,
the date and time it was telecast on GATV

There is a charge of $10 per tape copy and $15 per DVD request.

Is there a charge for a video tape?

Yes, each tape costs $10 and each DVD is $15.

What is Government Access TV (GATV)?

Government Access Television is programming produced primarily by city, county, state and federal agencies and employees. Programs run the gamut from live coverage of Vicksburg Board of Mayor and Aldermen meetings to city informational programs such as "Vicksburg Notes" and Public Service Announcements. GATV, Cable Channel 23, is owned and operated by the City of Vicksburg. As part of the cable franchise agreement with Vicksburg Video the cable operator pays the city for the use of the public right of ways. These funds, known as franchise fees, are used to support cable related activities. A portion of these funds is exclusively used to support Government Access Television. The GATV channel can be viewed in the City of Vicksburg on Vicksburg Video Cable Channel 23. For more information call 601-801-2300.

Can I advertise my "for profit" business or services on VTV?

NO! VTV is a Government access channel and can not advertise a business or service.

How do I place a public annoucement?

The VTV channel shows Public Service Announcements (PSA's) on the City Bulletin Board. This message board is available for any announcements that are City sponsored activities and events. If your message fits thiscriteria you may:

Fax it to:
VTV, City Bulletin Board at 631-3254,
Mail it to:
City of Vicksburg VTV
1415 Walnut St
Vicksburg, Mississippi 39181
Attention: City Bulletin Board

Note - Announcements can also be sent in the form of a power point presentation. Text must be at 28 points in size with high contrast against it's background. You may email them to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Can VTV be used as a political "platform or venue?"

NO! For complete clarification contact the City of Vicksburg legal department.

end faq

{accordionfaq faqid=accordion609 faqclass="lightnessfaq defaulticon headerbackground headerborder contentbackground contentborder round5" }
questions3Water and Gas FAQ's

How do I calculate my water bill?

The water consumption printed on your utility bill represents your water usage in thousands* of gallons. So a bill that shows a consumption of 14 means that you used 14,000 gallons during the billing cycle. To calculate your water charge you need to find the correct Water Rate Chart and minimum bill for your account.

Sample taken from Residential-Inside City Limits Rates.

Billed Consumption of 14 or 14,000 gallons
First 2,000 gallons is $8.75 (Minimum Bill)
The next 8,000 Gallons is $3.07 per thousand
The next 10,000 gallons are $2.66 per thousand

First 2 = $8.75
Next 8*$3.07= $24.56
Next 4*$2.66= $10.64 B

Bill for 14 consumption: $8.75 + $24.56 + $10.64 = $43.95

*Some accounts have large meters that our billing system adds a multiplier to before calculating the bill.

How do I open a new account for service?

Come by our office between the hours for 8:00 am and 1:00 PM or between 2:30 PM and 4:30 PM Monday - Friday. We will help you make application for service and will explain the services we offer as well as our billing procedures. A security deposit of $105.00 (water and gas) for homeowners and $150.00 (water and gas) for renters is required. You must show proof of ownership (contract to buy/sell or deed) or if renting, a lease agreement or rent receipt from your landlord when applying for service. We also require picture ID. Same day service is available when deposits are paid before 1:00 PM

Why is my bill so high?

Your water bill is calculated using the total number of gallons you used during the billing cycle. There are many factors that can cause your water charge to be high. Water conservation is the simplest thing you can do to safeguard against a high water bill. Things that you should look for are leaking faucets, running toilets, broken pipes, leaving the water running while washing your vehicle, and watering plants and lawns. A simple thing such as a dripping faucet or running toilet can use hundreds even thousands of gallons in a months time.

How much are the deposits for Water and Gas service?

A security deposit of $105.00 (water and gas) for homeowners and $150.00 (water and gas) for renters is required. You must show proof of ownership (contract to buy/sell or deed) or if renting, a lease agreement or rent receipt from your landlord when applying for service. We also require picture ID. Same day service is available when deposits are paid before 1:00 PM

How do I transfer an account?

To transfer your service to a new address simply come by our office during working hours and give us the new address information. A payment of your current bill and a $20.00 transfer fee are required.

What do I do if I need Emergency service?

For emergency service after hours contact the 24 hour dispatch center at 601-636-1096.

How do I check for a water leak?

Water leaks can cost you hundreds of dollars over a period of time and can be hard to detect. Toilets that run, faucets that leak and faulty hot-water heaters are usually the main source of problems. You can download a Water Leak Pamphlet using our "Downloads" section.

Do you have a gas safety pamphlet?

Yes we do. Use our download area to view and print the pamphlet.

end faq

{accordionfaq faqid=accordion549 faqclass="lightnessfaq defaulticon headerbackground headerborder contentbackground contentborder round5" }
questions3Water Treatment FAQ's

How much water does the facility produce?

The facility has eleven raw water wells with a capacity of 2 million gallons per day each. 

Where does the water come from?

The Vicksburg Water Treatment Plant uses ground water for its raw water source. What is ground water, you might ask? It's the water that lies beneath the earth's surface that is stored in aquifers. Aquifers are underground rock formations, caverns and beds of sand and gravel. Water is pumped out of them by wells. These aquifers are the source for many public water utilities and private wells. In fact, nearly half of our nation's drinking water comes from ground water. Protecting groundwater is everyone's business. It's the only way to ensure clean, plentiful groundwater---a key to our health and way of life!

How are ground water supplies replenished?

Ground water is part of the water (hydrologic) cycle--nature's system for renewing water supplies. This includes: Condensation, where water vapor cools and turns into tiny water droplets. These attach to one another and form clouds. Evaporation, which occurs when the suns heats surface water which changes to water vapor and rises into the air. Precipitation, which occurs when the clouds get too heavy, the water falls back to the earth as rain, snow, sleet or hail. Infiltration is the term for water that sinks into the ground and is stored in aquifers. And finally, surface runoff, which is the term applied to water that can enter the earth as it runs across the earth into lakes, rivers, reservoirs, etc. All these natural cycles contribute to the level of useable water in an aquifer. So, you can see that rainfall deficits and the rise and fall of natural or manmade surface water sources can greatly determine the amount of water available for treatment plants that use ground water for their raw water source. We can't control these natural changes, but we can make a difference by practicing water conservation.

How can I make a difference?

You can make a difference at home and in your community in two important ways.

Conserve Water:
· By repairing all household leaks
· Use water-saving shower heads, faucets, toilets and appliances.
· Wash only full loads of clothes or dishes.
· Turn off the water while brushing teeth or shaving.
· Take shorter showers.

Protect Water:
· Limit use of household and garden chemicals.
· Never pour chemicals or paint down the sink or storm drain, or on the ground.
· Bring all hazardous wastes (such as motor oil) to a hazardous waste collection center.

Help keep ground water pure and flowing. Work with neighbors and local officials to:
· Learn about groundwater in your area. Learn where your ground water comes to the surface (discharge areas) and where your aquifer refills (recharge areas).
· Identify possible hazards to your ground water supply and develop plans to protect sensitive lands, such as discharge and recharge areas. Get involved with community programs for safe disposal of hazardous waste.

For more information about protecting your water supply and sources contact:
· your water utility at 601-634-4542 or 601-636-2037.
· your local or state water department. (Warren County Board of Health office or The Mississippi State Department of Health, Division of Water Supply.
· the Environmental Protection Agency Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1-800-426-4791.

Join the effort to ensure a reliable water supply for years to come!

How do communities pay for clean water?

Communities have the following options for meeting clean water costs:

User fees: Utility Bills- A direct charge to consumers based on the amount of water used.
Assessments- Other fees, such as charges to connect new homes or businesses to the system.
Property taxes provide operating funds by taxing all properties.
State taxes and low interest loans from state revolving loans funds as well as grants, help finance the construction of new, or the upgrade of existing facilities.

How do I calculate my water bill?

Your water bill is based on the amount of water you use per month. The Vicksburg Water and Gas Administration handles all billing procedures. You can visit their page to see rate charts and samples of how to calculate a bill.

end faq

{accordionfaq faqid=accordion560 faqclass="lightnessfaq defaulticon headerbackground headerborder contentbackground contentborder round5" }