The City of Vicksburg's housing department provides a comprehensive housing service to assist very low, low and moderate income families in obtaining mortgages and home improvement loans. This program includes individual financial counseling, credit counseling, consumer education, delinquency counseling, and homebuyer education classes.
The program provides the following services:
• Identify very low, low and moderate income eligible purchasers of single family units.
• Prepare potential purchasers in making application at lender banks by reviewing income, employment history, debts and credit history.
• Provide access to a regular program of credit and budgeting classes.
• Assist clients without enough savings for down payment and closing cost (Money Mentors and Mississippi Community Financial Access Coalition).
• Provide a longer term, individualized plan for clients with credit problems to re-establish their credit (Money Mentors).
• Sponsor homebuyer education workshops to inform residents about the home buying process and the opportunities with the City of Vicksburg housing program.
• Sponsor one City of Vicksburg Housing Education Fair each year to educate interested very low, low and moderate income residents about the services provided by local banks, realtors and state programs that are available (next fair scheduled for June 27, 2015).
• Provide an aggressive marketing program to encourage potential homeowners by using all forms of media (newspapers, social media, flyers, community calendars, company website).
If you are in need of an appointment to speak with one of our housing counselors please call the City of Vicksburg Housing Department at 601-634-4528 and ask for Gertrude Young (Housing Director) or Angela Turner (Housing Coordinator).